Sanofi is seeking a motivated Principal Scientist/Lab Head in the Rare and Neurological Diseases Research Area who will be a scientific innovator, driver of excellence, and a developer of cutting-edge therapeutics to treat rare muscular disorders. The successful candidate will have extensive experience with a broad range of cell biological, in vitro and in vivo model systems, preferentially relating to muscle biology and genetic muscular diseases. The candidate should also have a record of developing therapeutic concepts to treat muscular and/or other related diseases demonstrated by publications in leading journals and presentations at national and international meetings. The candidate will both advance portfolio projects and lead efforts to identify novel targets and therapeutic strategies to treat muscular disorders. They will join a motivated and collaborative team with the potential to manage, train, and develop scientists while also expanding and deepening the team’s expertise in muscle biology and related disease models to successfully guide programs to the clinic. They will communicate research results internally and externally through publications, patents, and presentations, and collaborate with diverse teams of scientists and clinicians to advance therapies through the drug discovery pipeline.
- Implementation of state-of-the-art techniques for muscle research, including novel in vitro or in vivo models, or other innovative methods.
- Lead high priority portfolio projects by leveraging research platform support to meet project goals and timelines
- Lead and collaborate with scientists and technical staff with expertise in diverse disciplines, including molecular and cellular biology, pharmacology, histopathology, and behavioral analysis to develop a deep understanding of disease pathogenesis and confidence in target rationale.
- Support the Rare & Neuroscience Therapeutic Area strategy by identifying new targets and advancing projects in the current pipeline.
- Cooperate with Research, Development, and Commercial colleagues to support strategy for muscular disease research.
- Lead internally and externally in muscle disease research, presenting and publishing cutting edge science and developing and maintaining key collaborations around the Globe
- PhD in cell biology, physiology, pharmacology, or a related discipline and 5+ years of post-doctoral or industry experience in with strong preference given to expertise in muscle biology.
- Deep expertise and outstanding record of research and publications in muscular physiology or diseases and/or related fields.
- Expertise in cutting-edge approaches in cell biology, use of -omics, bioinformatics, data mining and/or other approaches to identify and validate targets and pathways.
- Expertise in one or more of the following areas: discovery research, development and validation of in vitro/in vivo models of disease, organoid models, gene editing and/or oligonucleotide approaches, translational research, biomarker development and validation. • Outstanding communication, management, and interpersonal skills.
- Experience working in and/or leading collaborative and multidisciplinary teams in an academic or industry setting.